Wednesday, August 20, 2008

I'm a freud!!!! =(

OK so here's the deal. A lot of people keep going no you can't be new at this, or How did you do these so well for the first time.

SO I thought I should give you some background on me.

I am a 24 year old fashion designer. I have always loved art! When I was little i loved to color and do crafts all the time. My grandmother and one of my aunts always helped to teach me and my sister new things. I learned how to bead and make beaded doilies and baskets and bells, I learned how to do cross stitching on plastic canvas and needlepoint on fabric. I even dabbled at scrapbooking when my mom bout me and my sis sets from costco one year for Christmas. We were always the ones to get the flower factories, the pottery wheels, the art boxes etc. my other grandmother (meme as i call her) she tought me to crochet (never took well to knitting).

When i was young one of my older cousins would always be drawing and I would love to watch her at Christmas visit, I remember she was the first to teach me to draw birds (the little M looking ones flying in the distance lol not that hard but still), my great grandma had tought me to draw little fish (modified figure 8's). No major feats but things that impacted my future for sure.

My first real art lesson came from my dad though (it was either 5th 6th or 7th grade I cant remember) I aksed him to teach me to draw and we sat at the kitchen table all day it seemed and he tought me about line and shdow and shape and perspective. From that moment I wanted to draw all the time and learn as much as i could. The best lesson I ever learned was "draw what you see" In high school I was finally able to take an art class my sophmore year and I loved it junior senior year I took as many higher level art classes i could and i blossomed!

I went to community college where I took clothing and textiles, during which time I got to take a few art classes, such as life drawing, oil painting, illustration and art history. when I was 18 (fresh in college) I did a debutant program in my area where one day we got to take a scrapbooking class from a CM lady and I liked it a lot I bought a few things did a few pages and then it sat on a shelf for a few years while i finished school. I moved to Los Angeles and went to school in downtown to get my 2nd AA in fashion design. At FIDM I took many fashion illustration classes where all we did was draw and color fashion figures I learned to better use my prismacolor colored pencils, and I finally got to try prismacolor markers...and with time and practice I mastered them!

Once my sister got engaged and I got engaged a few months after she and I both knew we needed to get back to scrapbooking (I had an entire laundry basket filled to the brim with photos!) and we were only going to have that many more with all the weddings and baby showers etc coming up between the 2 of us and all our friends. so just over a year and a half ago I started scrapbooking again. In Feb. 08 i got my cricut machine to use for many projects I was working on for my Cinderella themed wedding. from there I joined the cricut message board where I got to see so much great stuff from all the members. I started checking postings every day, watching blogs and trying new things, then I saw a card someone made with a stampingbella stamp, and I was hooked! I knew I had to try my hand at stamps what easier way than with cards. I made a few cards and left them blank waiting for stamps to adorn and complete them, and I started my research...and shopping!

so I am very new to stamping and card making, I have some experience with scrapbooking, and these other projects well I'm just crafty and good with my hands. I'm pretty smart or at least I like to think so and in some aspects I guess I have a bit of an engenire in me as I easily peiced those boxes together (also for my company I've designed boxes and packaging so it helps to understand how it works and how to make it flat and fold it back up)

So maybe that all means I'm a cheat when I say I'm new to it, because I have other experiences that help me, but at the same time it is a new craft to me.

I Love my scrapbooking and card making and crafts so much and only hope to grow and blossom with this as well.

1 comment:

Kim's Life said...

Welcome to Scrapbooking!!!! There are so many things you can do with scrapbooking supplies!!!! Love your blog! Koreanbella